According to TMZ, the film’s distributor, SpectiCast Entertainment, filed suit against Drake for publicly disowning Homecoming on Twitter and encouraging his 21 million followers to stay away when it hits theaters on Thursday (March 19) for one night only.
Homecoming, presented by Fathom Events, SpectiCast, Rap-A-Lot Records, and Young Empire Music Group, was shot prior to Drake signing with Young Money and features footage of a 23-year-old Drizzy performing at Toronto’s Sound Academy in 2009, with interviews from Jas Prince, J. Prince, and Bun B.
Earlier this week, Drake and J. Prince distanced themselves from the film. “James Prince and I stand together on not supporting the Drake Homecoming footage in theatres,” tweeted the Canadian rapper.
The Los Angeles Times reports that Drake agreed to let the concert be filmed and was paid $15,000 and promised a 15% profit royalty for his participation. Mark Berry, co-executive producer, believes Drake is upset because he thinks he deserves a larger cut.
“I think he thought nothing was going to happen with the film,” said Berry. “It’s an issue of someone not honoring a contractual commitment to another person.”
Berry said Serious Entertainment, the promoters of the film, offered Drake and Cash Money the opportunity to buy back the footage, but both declined.